WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
ABOUT FLEAS, TICKS AND WORMS
FLEAS, TICKS AND WORMS ARE A THREAT TO PETS EVERYWHERE. DISCOVER THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN FLEAS, TICKS AND WORMS – AND LEARN WHY YOU SHOULD KEEP YOUR PET PROTECTED YEAR-ROUND.
Fleas: Fascinating Facts
Fleas are the number 1 cause of skin disease in pets
Only 5% of fleas live on your pet; the other 95% live in the environment, including in your home – in carpets, rugs and sofas
Flea infestations get rapidly out of control thanks to the sheer volume of eggs. Female fleas lay up to 50 eggs per day; that’s 2,500 eggs after 50 days!
Fleas can bite up to 400 times per day and suck up to 15 times their own weight in blood
Fleas are a year-round problem, and can easily survive throughout the winter in our homes
For more information about fleas, click here
Ticks: Terrible Truths
Ticks transmit serious diseases, such as Lyme Disease, to pets and people
Ticks are members of the spider family and survive by drinking the blood of their host
Ticks are not just a problem in rural areas; urban gardens and parks provide good habitats for ticks
Ticks can be hard to spot; before feeding they are tiny (<3mm long) and can be hidden in your pet’s fur
For more information about ticks, click here
Worms: What’s What
32% of cats are infected with roundworms!
Roundworms can harm people too; children are especially at risk
Roundworm can be passed to a kitten through its mothers milk
Roundworms can lay up to 200,000 eggs per day!
Pets typically contract tapeworms by ingesting fleas
For more information about worms, click here